A few years ago my parent’s neighbor gave me a wooden spool that she had in her backyard. For two years the spool sat not being used.
Until this year.
This spring I began doing searches on Pinterest about upcycling spools. I couldn’t believe all the different things you can do – and would now love to get my hands on another to do another project. As you will see from my photos I re-did mine as a table with a mosaic top. But other projects are benches, flower beds, chairs, rocking chairs – all sorts of things. There is no end to what you can do when you set your mind to it.
So I wasn’t smart enough to take an honest to goodness “before” picture of my spool, but I did remember to take one after I sanded it down. I didn’t do it for a long time, I probably did the entire piece in about 15 minutes. Tops.
My next step was taking it out in my driveway and spray painting it. I went up to Home Depot and oddly initially couldn’t find the color green I was looking for. When my husband texted me back – “they don’t have the color you want?” in complete and utter disbelief. It was then I looked to the right and lo and behold – there were more colors. I chose what I thought to be a nice spring green shade.
I had only bought 1 can but ended up going up and buying a second as I was amazed at how the wood just sucked up all the paint.
The weather then became rainy and then snowy so it was a few weeks before I began working on the spool again. So when phase 2 started it looked like this:
So our next step was putting a piece of plywood on top. With the holes in the top I couldn’t create a mosaic top so with my husband’s help we put a solid top on the table.
We glued and screwed the plywood to the top of the spool and then he took a saws all (borrowed from my dad) to cut around the top of the table. Once it was all cut out he took the sander to even out the edges.
The next step was to place some rope around the edge of the top. This was fun because while hubby went to see if he had clamps, the rope all came falling off. I thought I was going to cry but we figured out that if the put the glue down, left it set up for a minute and then laid the rope down it stuck a little better. The saucers for some terracotta flower pots, the sander and coasters helped, too.
Once we gave the rope time to dry, caulk was placed on top of the screws (holding the plywood to the rest of the spool) and where the rope and table meet so when we put the mortar down it wouldn’t ooze out under the rope (hubby thought of all this).
Next step – mixing the mortar, leaving it set and then spreading it around the top of the table. I probably could have handled this part, but I think hubby likes to be useful. He mixed the mortar together and spread it on the table.
I wanted to make a sunflower so finding tiles that would give me lots of yellow or orange colors was impossible to find. Luckily we went to Hobby Lobby and found some small colored panes of glass. Along with some river stones for the “seeds” and sea glass stones for the “sky” edging, I was ready to go.
The next step was breaking the glass. My clumsiness allowed hubby to do this too. I was sure that I would end up cutting myself so he had fun breaking the glass in a box.
And then it began – putting the flower together. Initially all was good, it was putting the “seeds” in the center.
The more difficult part was placing the glass for the petals. I started placing them down and then really became overwhelmed simply because my glass was going down but it wasn’t making a flower. Then I realized that if I placed pieces of glass down and made triangles down to make my way to the end of the petals, and it started coming together so much better.
Then it was easy again – just putting the blue glass down for the edges. I didn’t buy enough but it turns out my mother had some (all the stores were closed so I really lucked out).
And then it was done – outside of my kids I can’t remember when I’d ever been so proud of myself for completing a project. I’m looking into a type of sealant to put on it so it hopefully won’t get dirty. I knew I needed to wait a few weeks so that way the mortar would be dry.
Looking forward to having a productive summer on my porch – I’ve decked it out with lights that look like mason jars and topped it off with a sunflower mesh wreath that I made as well.